- People who suffer from insomnia, anxiety, and other sleeping disorders. Their brains often “heat up”, causing the body to feel hotter, which prevents them from sleeping.
- Pregnant women; Pregnant would often have trouble sleeping and cannot sleep on their stomach, so we’ve decided to create a body pillow that not only fits to their shape, but also soothes them by cooling down their body and playing their choice of music.
Explanation of the issue that is being solved
The “Siesta” is a pillow that is designed to bring relief to those who are stressed, suffer from insomnia other sleeping disorders and/or anxiety. Insomniacs are people who tend to have higher brain activity than the average person; the brain becomes “hot”. Researchers have found that if you sleep on something cool or in a cooler environment, it can help reduce the amount of heat being produced in one’s body to help them sleep better.
1) What is the project?
2) How does it differ from other similar inventions?
- The project is a body pillow that brings comfort because it is made from 3 different layers that makes the pillow innovative and different from similar products.These differences are the Bluetooth capability, has a cooling feature and have 3 unique layers. The layers are:
- Cooling/Heating pad
- The Siesta is different from other similar inventions because…
- Its is equipped with a bluetooth receiver and speakers(from headphones) that allows you to play music from any device that uses Bluetooth connectivity. This allows for the user to feel comfortable with soothing music as they fall asleep.
- Has three layers of material which is Micro-Beads(Polyester Pellets, Cooling/Heating pad, and the cotton. This allows the user to feel as comfortable as possible while providing cooling that accompanies the user.
- The Siesta is fitted with a cooling system. This allows the user to fall asleep much quicker than usual and stay asleep for longer.
- Bluetooth Receiver **http://www.amazon.com/MOCREO-Bluetooth-Wireless-Streaming-Receiver/dp/B00KMTK39C
- Speaker/Head Phones
- Polyester Pellets and/or Polyester Pellets **http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/buying-guide/understanding-filler-materials-polyfil-pellets-microbeads-beanbag-filler
- Cooling Pad(Filled with Cooling Gel)
- Cotton(for stuffing)
- Conductive Thread
- Embroidering Machine
Rapid Prototyping Pt.1 (July 8, 2015)
This is our first prototype of the Siesta. This prototype is made of a toilet paper roll, pieces of wood, acrylic, and etc. The blue part of the pillow is the cooling layer of the pillow. The two pieces of wood is the speakers and the blue-tooth receiver. The blue and red “buttons” next to the wood is the volume buttons. The actual pillow will have 3 layers. The outside layer is the fabric, which is covering the cotton underneath it. The layer under that is the cooling gel that we will be using to help the sleeper sleep more comfortably. The next layer is the last layer, which is filled with micro beads. We have decided to use micro beads because it will help the user’s pillow conform to their body better. This is especially useful for people who are pregnant because their stomach is always growing and so with the micro beads, it will easily conform to their changing body.
- “Do less, not everything other pillows do – look at e-textiles for button ideas”
- “Consider the difficulty in generating ‘cold’ energy in a system”
- Simplify the project a bit
- “Pick one thing that people aren’t doing well with sleeping and focus on that”
- ”How could you help people to relax better?”
- “It’s a pillow, so it may be able to do some of those things, but you may want to limit the amount that you are packing into a pillow”
Rapid Prototyping Pt.2 (July 9, 2015)
Today we did Rapid Prototyping 2.0. First, we gathered some fabric, cotton, blue felt and a needle and thread. Then we put headphones that was connected to a cellphone to test the frequency and amplitude of the music through all the layers in the pillow.
July 13, 2015
Today we did more research on the type of Temperature Sensor that we plan to use in the pillow. After finding the right temperature sensor that relates to our project we looked up How to program the sensor.
July 14, 2015
Completed the Logo for Siesta. It’s a picture of the famous Homer from “The Simpsons” because he always want to sleep.
July 15, 2015 and July 16, 2015
July 15, 2015
Today Kametria did research on blue tooth speakers and how to take it apart without cutting the wires. Next, Kametria took apart a blue tooth speaker to see how the speaker was wired in order for us to rewire it.
July 16, 2015
After taking apart the speaker Judy and Antwain rewired and soldered new wires onto the speaker to make the jack longer without messing up the speaker……. and it was a success
July 29 , 2015
We got our materials which includes:
-Gel Cooling Pad, Poly Pellets and Humid/Temperature Sensor.
August 3, 2015
Today we went to purchase our pillow fabric and the pillow stuffing.
August 4, 2015
Today we brainstormed the design and shape of what the body pillow will look like. We started to cut out the pillow based off the size and shape of the cooling pad.
August 5, 2015
Redesigned the shape of the pillow and started from scratch.
August 6, 2015
Made a smaller pillow to show the demo of how the temperature sensor works to show the difference of the brain BEFORE and AFTER using the Siesta pillow.
August 7, 2015
The process of starting to code the Arduino for the Temperature Sensor begins!!
August 11, 2015
August 12, 2015
Starts to look at pictures for inspiration for the logo that is going on the pillow. Starts to design logo.
August 13, 2015
Final Logo is designed and created. Ms.Pamela helps us to start the embroidery of the logo onto the pillow fabric.
August 14, 2015
Finalized the sewing of the pillow and completing the code for the temperature sensor and 0finalize the design for the box that the speaker will be in.
August 15, 2015
Finished making the Poster Board.